|3 cups Green beans|
|2 tsp Cococnut oil|
|1 tsp Mustard seeds|
|1 tsp Gram dal|
|1/4 tsp Asafoetida|
|2 Red chillies|
|few Curry leaves|
|2 tbsp Fresh coconut|
Instant pot green beans poriyal is the quickest way to cook the green beans stir fry. This is a vegan vegetable side dish with the flavour of the coconut oil. This flavour is further enhanced with the addition of fresh coconut.
Poriyal is nothing but stir fry. Vegetables are steamed and then stir-fried with minimum oil. This is served as a side dish in most south Indian homes. In Tamilnadu, the simple stir fry is known as poriyal while in Kerala it is known as thoran. Both the poriyal and the thoran use coconut as the flavouring agent. There are some poriyals where onion in used too.
Usually, the vegetables are first steamed. Then it is quickly stir-fried. Green beans, broad beans, beetroot, snake gourd, bottle gourd are some vegetables where poriyal is prepared in this way. You can check out beans poriyal cooked in this way HERE
Here when we cook the same in the instant pot or any other electric pressure cooker, we reduce the time of cooking this poriyal. This is achieved because we will be simultaneously pressure cook and stir fry. By cooking this way, the green colour of the green beans after cooking also does not change. That is because it is quickly cooked and cooled quickly too. Now let us see how this stir fry can be prepared.
3. Switch on the instant pot and put it on SAUTE MODE.
4. When it is sufficiently hot, add the coconut oil and mustard seeds.
5. Once the mustard starts to splutter, add the gram dal, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for few seconds.,
6. Now add the cut green beans and mix well. Add the necessary salt and mix well.CANCEL THE SAUTE MODE
7. Add 1 tbsp water along the inner surface of the inner pot
10. Close the lid of the instant pot. Keep the vent in the sealing position and pressure cook it for 4 minutes.
11. Release the pressure immediately after the 4 mins cooking is done. This ensures that the green colour of the beans remains and the beans is not overcooked.
12. Add the coconut and mix well. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
Serve this beans stir fry or beans poriyal with sambar and rasam of your choice.
You can leave me an answer, a comment or a suggestion.