|1tsp Mustard seeds|
|1 tsp Urad dal|
|2 Green chilles|
|1/4 tsp Asafoetida|
|Few Curry leaves|
|2 tbsp Milk|
|to taste Salt|
Sutta kathrika masiyal in air fryer is an easy way to roast brinjals quickly. This roasted brinjal can be used to make masiyal, bhaingan bharta and gothsu.
Sutta kathrika masiyal in air fryer is an easy way to roast the brinjal and make masiyal. An air fryer is a gadget which I had not used much earlier. But now with each new experiment, it is proving to be a very useful one. People think it is used mainly for air drying. Well, that is the primary purpose of the gadget but roasting any vegetables also is a very quick and easy way in an air fryer. Especially roasting the brinjal. I do not think, I will opt for any other method henceforth.
The main ingredient for the sutta kathrika masiyal is well-roasted brinjal. Here we use the large variety of the brinjal. Care should be taken that there are no holes or worms in the brinjal. Traditionally I apply oil on the whole surface of the brinjal and directing roast it on the fire. This does roast very well. Later it is plunged in water to remove the skin and then use the mashed brinjal for masiyal. Sometimes I bake/ roast it in the oven. Though the texture is good, was never really satisfied with the flavour. However, the roasting in the air fryer is very easy and simple. So to answer the above question if air fryer is necessary, No it is not absolute. It is one of the methods to roast. You can roast on direct flame or in the oven too.
1.Preheat the air fryer to 200C for 5 minutes.
2. Wash and dry the brinjals well. Next cut the brinjal lengthwise into four.
3. Apply oil on all of the surfaces of the brinjal.
4. Now arrange the oiled brinjal pieces in the basket of the air fryer
5 Air fry it for 10 minutes.
6. Check it after 10 minutes. If not browned fully, air fry it for another 6-8 minutes
7. Carefully take it out with tongs and let it cool completely.
8. Now remove the skin. This comes out very easily. If you find it difficult, scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
9. Mash the pulp well and keep aside.
10. Now heat oil in a pan.
11. Once it is sufficiently hot, ass mustard seeds, and black gram dal. Once the mustard starts to splutter add the cut green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a minute.
12. Now add the mashed brinjal and mix well. Cook on low flame for 1 minute.
13. Now add the milk and mix well and continue to cook in low flame for another 2 minutes.
14. Add salt, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
15. Switch off the fire and serve hot with rice and rasam.
Roasted brinjal can be used in Iyengar thaligai as sutta kathrika thogayal. It can be used in another Iyengar recipe which is called as sutta kathrika puli gothsu. It can also be used in making the north Indian speciality baingan bharta. So the uses are many. Do try this method and let me know the feedback.
You can leave me an answer, a comment or a suggestion.