Beans Paruppu Usili With Instant Paruppu Usili Mix
Generally this is a featured dish in a typical. Tamizh Brahmin wedding. When I make this at home, I generally steam the paruppu Usili and it is low on oil too. When my daughter relocated I had to come up with an instant mix which is easy to cook and yet taste the same. So here is the tried and tasted usili mix which you can prepare in advance and store for long time.
Paruppu usili mix
INSTANT PARUPPU USILI MIX
Bengal gram dal
FOR THE INSTANT MIX
· Dry roast all the ingredients very lightly. Does not have to brown.
· Let it cool completely
· Powder it in a mixer to a coarse powder
· Store it in air tight container
FOR THE BEANS PARUPPU USILI
1. Cut the beans finely
2. Steam it in cooker or microwave without adding any water. Let it cool
3. Take 1 cup of usili mix and add 1 cup of water. Mix well. Let it rest for 30 minutes. At the end of this time we see that all the water has been absorbed
4. After 30 minutes heat oil in a pan.
5. When the oil is sufficiently hot, add mustards seeds.
6. When mustard starts to crackle add asafoetida and saute for few second, and now add the soaked usili mix, add salt, mix well and cook in a low flame closing it with a lid. Saute it every few minutes so that it does not burn at the bottom
7. When the colour changes to light brown, remove the lid and add the cooked beans.